Paolo Arrigo

Just found out I am to be awarded Slow Food Person of the Year 2020, I am the importer and distributor of the Franchi seed brand, est 1783. I'm responsible for the brand being the only Slow Food approved seed brand in the world and for being the only seed brand to do the show (3 times too!), and for obtaining a very hard-to-get Vegetarian Society Vegan approval for it too. I campaign on Biodiversity - 94% of heritage veg varieties have been 'lost' in just one century but Franchi produce/supply about 200 varieties from the remaining 6%. I am a BioDiversity campaigner and some of our varieties literally only have 1 or 2 producers left, then they are lost forever, to everyone. I have one book published called 'From seed to plate' and I occasionally write recipes and articles for blogs, other books, articles, done some TV pieces for BBC Gardeners World and others. I do about 50 talks per year on 'Italy from seed to plate' Endangered veg and other subjects and also some cooking demo's. I'm a multiple RHS Garden medal winner (Silver in 2019 with the Slow Food Ark of Taste Garden, Silver Gilt in 2018 with the Borough Market garden etc etc).

Special subjects

Heritage and endangered vegetable seed varieties. Italy from seed to plate.

Languages spoken

ENGLISH, ITALIAN, a little French

Regular work

MD of Franchi Seeds of Italy 1783 Also importer of regional Italian products from ancient grain Italian flour, truffle products and Organic honey to food dryers and pizza ovens!

Advisory boards / Awards

Slow Food person of the year 2020 10 x RHS Hampton Court Medals (gardens) Previously a judge for GFW Book 'From Seed to Plate' in 2009 (working on a new book) Lots of press on seeds (different subjects) from the One Show to Chinese TV! Example - Italian Chamber of commerce for the UK member VP of the Piemontese Region in the UK Inventor of the viral brexit Vegtable Growing Survival Kit in Jan 2019 (1200+ sold). Biodiversity campaigner

Commercial interests

Importer and distributor of the oldest seed brand on the planet, the Franchi seed brand, est.1783 and still in the same family for 7 generations.

Paolo Arrigo